Visian ICL (implantable collamer lens)
- ICL is a one type of contact lens which is surgically implanted into the eye.
- It is thin and clear lens which implant in front the god given natural lens (crystalline lens) and behind the iris (coloured part of eye).
- The ICL cannot be felt while in the eye, requires no maintenance and can be removed if needed.
- It is very good option for the patient with high refractive errors (high minus or astigmatisms) between the age of 21 to the 45yr.
- It is one type of refractive surgery which is advisable in patient in which LASIK can’t be an option.
- The ICL is specifically manufactured to correct your prescription and its strength is determined after a thorough series of measurements taken at clinic.
- It is reversible procedure, if you want to remove it, till than it is permanent.
- Visian ICL and Visian TICL(toric implantable collamer lens) surgery is intended to safely and effectively correct myopia(minus power) between -3.0 D to -15.0 D, the reduction in myopia up to -20.0 D and treatment of astigmatism from 1.0 D to 4.0 D.
- Visian ICL surgery may improve your distance vision without eyeglasses or contact lenses. Because the Visian ICL corrects for distance vision, it does not eliminate the need for reading glasses, you may require them at some point, even if you have never worn them before.
- The Visian ICL is made from a material called Collamer, a collagen co-polymer that contains a small amount of purified collagen.
- It is stable and biocompatible and has been used for many years in the lenses implanted during cataract surgery. and ICL.
- The lens also contains an ultraviolet (UV) filter.
- How does it looks like.
- Patient above age of 21 yr.
- Patient with high myopia till -20.00D and cylindrical power upto 4 D.
- Patient who are contraindicated for LASIK surgeries because of thin cornea.
- Patients once operated for LASIK still have refractive power.
- After completing OPD procedure surgeon may ensure that patient’s eyes are okay for the surgery and that before1week of the surgery, surgeon take all the appropriate eye measurement with A scan ultrasound technique and forward that data to manufacturer for the ICL customisation.
- At the day of operation patient have to shift in operation theatre and than Anaesthetic eye drops are used to numb the eye.
- Surgeon will place a small instrument between your eyelids to prevent blinking.
- The customised ICL is folded into a special injector. That will be inserted in front of natural clear lens of patient’s eye with very small openings. And ICL will unfold and take it position.
- Opening will resolve it self with time without taking any sutures.
- This procedure requires approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
- Usually the eyes are treated a minimum of one week apart.
- Chances of early cataract development if ICL touch the natural lens.
- IOP (eye pressure) may raise after surgery if ICL block drainage path way of aqueous humour.
- May chances of under or over correction of refraction.
- Glare may affects after surgery like other refractive surgery like LAKIS.